top of page

How Can I Become A Permanent Worker In The U.S.?

Updated: Sep 25, 2023

Becoming a permanent worker is ideal for people who want to make a living in America. Eligibility depends on your line of work, experience and education. Because of the country’s need for laborers in specific industries, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), has been working hard to speed up processing and approvals.

The extent of procedures needed for your permanent worker visa can hinge on your category. Visa classifications can require you to get a labor certification first. According to your qualifications, you need to get a job offer from an American employer who will become your sponsor. Then, your employer must get labor certification approval from the Department of Labor before submitting an immigration petition to the USCIS.

Still, the initial step to get things rolling is figuring out your classification or permanent worker visa preference category.

What Are These Preference Categories?

To find out if you need a labor certification, you need to know your category:

  • EB-1: Applies to people with remarkable skills in arts, sciences, business, education or sports. This group includes exceptional scientists, educators, managers and executive-level employees.

  • EB-2: This classification includes professionals with higher education and qualifications in business, sciences or arts. Applicants in this category need either a labor certification or national interest waiver.

  • EB-3: Relevant to professionals and skilled workers, this classification requires both job offers and labor certifications.

  • EB-4: Special immigrants fall under this group. It includes workers in religious sectors, international establishments, U.S. international services and other noncitizen groups.

  • EB-5: Business investors are in this category, including only those investing $1.8 million or $900,000 (if made in selected employment areas). Also, their ventures must hire at least 10 full-time American workers.

After determining your classification, you can make out what your next steps should be.

Do I Have Other Options?

You can opt for a temporary worker’s visa. It has similar processes and requirements but can cover a broader range of skills and jobs. Either way, you still need to work on paperwork and procedures for your visa. No matter which direction you choose, you will find that working in the U.S. can yield heaps of benefits for your career overall.

5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Migrating To The Land Of The Free

The United States is the land of opportunity and freedom. Foreign nationals from around the world travel to the country to find employment. Immigration has allowed people to better their lives, so muc

What Are The Differences Between Eb-2 And Eb-3 Visas?

Each year, the U.S. hands out about 140,000 immigrant visas to non-citizens looking to work there. You may be eligible for a visa if you’re a professional with the right work experience and qualificat


Talk To Me

Fields marked with an * are required

bottom of page