top of page

Follow A Smooth Road To Citizenship

Aspiring to the privileges of United States citizenship means different things to different people. For some, it means claiming rightful citizenship through parents who were U.S. citizens. For others, it means going through the naturalization process.

Even if you are eligible for citizenship, you will find it helpful and possibly necessary to work with an experienced immigration attorney. At Law Office of Belia A. Peña, you have a skilled adviser ready to help. You can avoid mistakes and achieve your goal efficiently and without unnecessary delays when attorney Peña leads you.

Appreciate The Benefits Of Citizenship And Follow Guidelines For Naturalization

You may have lived and worked in the U.S. for decades on work permits or as a legal permanent resident (LPR). If you are an LPR, you can already:

  • Work legally in the U.S.

  • Travel outside the country and return

  • Live freely, the same way that other members of your community live


With citizenship, you will also be able to vote and get a U.S. passport. Federal jobs and participation in Social Security will be available to you. You will not have to worry that minor legal troubles could put your immigrant status at risk.

Have you decided that it’s time to take the steps to become a citizen of the country that you call home? Or, perhaps you want to offer your noncitizen spouse, parent(s) or other family members the gift of financial and strategic assistance to become American citizens, too. Law Office of Belia A. Peña is a welcoming resource. Attorney Peña has facilitated journeys to citizenship benefiting many individuals, couples and families.

Beneficiaries Of U.S. Citizens

No one wants to break up their family. If you dream of bringing one of your children, grandchildren or stepchildren to the United States, you might have a pathway if you are a principal beneficiary. In legal terms, you are a principal beneficiary if someone is filing a visa petition on your behalf. Immigrants who do not have someone to sponsor them directly but who qualify for permanent residency because they are the spouse or child of a principal beneficiary are called derivative beneficiaries.

Principal beneficiaries have options to bring their spouse or child under the age of 21 to the U.S. with them. You can file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. F-1 and F-2 visas are available for your derivative beneficiaries, or your spouse and/or minor children who stand to gain permanent residency in the U.S.

These visas are excellent ways to keep your family united. Keep in mind, though, that the bureaucracy of family immigration is much easier to navigate when you work with a lawyer like Ms. Peña. She can make the application process as efficient as possible, helping you and your loved ones reunite as soon as you can.

Learn What It Takes To Pursue Citizenship And Get Started

Depending on your background, your path or your family member’s path to naturalization may include the following steps:

  • Become an LPR and live in the U.S. for three, five or more years after getting a green card

  • Apply for citizenship and submit color photos

  • Get fingerprinted

  • Gather evidence of good moral character

  • Attend an interview by an officer from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

  • Take and pass English and U.S. civics tests (with possible exceptions for reasons of age or disability)

  • Take an oath of allegiance


Immigration attorney Belia Peña in McAllen, Texas, looks forward to guiding and congratulating you along your way to becoming a U.S. citizen.

To schedule a consultation, call 956-831-1424 or send an email inquiry.

Talk To Me Today

Fields marked with an * are required

Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page