top of page

Unite Your Family In The U.S. Through Immigration Opportunities

Family-based immigration is one the most common methods of entry to the U.S. or adjustment of status from student or visitor to permanent resident.

You may be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident seeking to obtain legal status for one or more family members. Or, you may be a noncitizen with American family members who can sponsor you. Whatever your situation, you need a step-by-step plan to make your immigration goals a reality.

At Law Office of Belia A. Peña, you will find the direction and advice that you need to pursue your goal of immigrating or bringing a family member to the U.S.

Family-Based Immigrant Visas For Immediate Relatives Of U.S. Citizens And Permanent Residents

As a U.S. citizen, you can petition for an immigrant visa (to be followed by a green card) for your spouse, fiancé(e), unmarried son or daughter under age 21, or parent. If your family member is already in the U.S. with a different status, they will also need to apply for an adjustment of status.

Also, if your fiancé(e) has a minor child, your fiancé(e) can apply for an immigrant visa for the child. Your parent could also apply for an immigrant visa for their spouse (your stepparent), if applicable.

You may also petition for an immigrant visa for a brother or sister of yours, but these cases typically take significantly longer. If you hope to do this, you may want to ask an attorney about alternative ways for your sibling to come to the U.S.

If you are a green card holder, also known as a legal permanent resident (LPR), you may petition for an immigrant visa for your spouse or unmarried son or daughter under age 21.


What is your family’s hoped-for immigration story? Ask attorney Peña in McAllen, Texas, to help you discover and follow the most promising way forward. She has helped many families reunite or stay together thanks to her determination and knowledge of immigration laws. Law Office of Belia A. Peña can be your source of information, advice and assistance. If there is a way, you will find that way with Ms. Peña’s guidance.

The Cuban Adjustment Act

If you are Cuban and you want to put down permanent roots in the U.S., it is crucial to follow the legal process accurately. Under the Cuban Adjustment Act (CAA) of 1966, certain Cuban natives can get a green card and become lawful permanent residents of the United States. To qualify, you must prove that you have been:

  1. A Cuban citizen or native

  2. Inspected, admitted or paroled after Jan. 1, 1959

  3. Physically in the U.S. at least one year before applying

  4. Eligible for lawful permanent residence or a waiver of inadmissibility

  5. Of merit for the USCIS’s discretion


If you meet these eligibility criteria, you can work with Ms. Peña to file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. She can also help you gather supporting documentation that you will need for the petitioning process. If you have a spouse or a child under the age of 21 and they are not natives or citizens of Cuba, they can apply for a green card through the CAA as well.

Be aware that the steps are immensely complex and there are many challenges in the way. You stand to lose a great deal of time and money without the help of a qualified immigration attorney.


Explore Options For Your Family-Based Immigration Objectives

Schedule a consultation to discuss your family-based or employment-based immigration plans with an attentive, accomplished immigration lawyer.

Reach out to attorney Belia Peña at the McAllen law office by calling 956-831-1424 or sending a brief email message

Talk To Me Today

Fields marked with an * are required

bottom of page